- Compassionate assistance cannot, of course, be a substitute for the punishment of criminal acts or atonement for wrongdoing.
- Their pacifist constitution is both atonement for a bloody past and a defining national characteristic.
- Yet that still does not amount to full atonement for what he did.
- This is not because we have earned God's favor but simply because we belong to Christ and his sacrifice has made perfect atonement for our sin.
- The two offerings together symbolized a community of people at peace with God because atonement for sins had been made.
- They receive a free pardon from God for all their sins - past, present and future - through the death of Christ as an offering and atonement for sin.
- Yet at the same time they deny the doctrine of the Trinity, of the Incarnation, of the Atonement, and of justification by faith alone.
- The result has been some fascinating studies of such topics as sin, the Atonement, and the Incarnation.
- Regarding the Atonement, he asked: ‘How can the guilt of one man be expiated by the death of another who is sinless - if indeed one may speak of a sinless man at all?’
Early 16th century (denoting unity or reconciliation, especially between God and man): from at one + -ment, influenced by medieval Latin adunamentum 'unity', and earlier onement from an obsolete verb one 'to unite'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.