1 Linguistics (Of a syllable) without accent or stress.
- In Portuguese, vowels have stressed (tonic) and unstressed (atonic) forms.
- In this kind of metric versification, neither the actual number of the syllables nor the difference between tonic and atonic syllables had much importance.
2 Physiology Lacking muscular tone.
- The highest levels of intoxication can be life-threatening, producing delirium, coma, atonic bladder and cardiac arrhythmias.
- Atonic and tonic seizures are characterized by a sudden change in muscle tone.
- In Poliomyelitis the greatest possible care must be taken to prevent bruising atonic muscle fibers.
- Example sentences
- Following the birth of the neonate, the placenta was delivered and the patient began to experience severe hemorrhage, which was clinically attributed to uterine atony.
- Postpartum uterine atony and hemorrhage can be effectively prevented with the use of oxytocin, but the optimal dosage and route of administration have not been established.
- This in turn leads to gastric atony, floating kidney, hernia, rectal prolapse, uterine prolapse and other forms of prolapse.
Definition of atonic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.