Definition of attain in English:
1Succeed in achieving (something that one has worked for): clarify your objectives and ways of attaining them he attained the rank of Brigadier
More example sentences
- However happiness is not something that can be acquired, attained, achieved or gathered.
- The examples of terrorist organisations that have succeeded in attaining their strategic goals are few and far between.
- You may judge for yourself the degree to which I've succeeded in attaining that goal.
achieve, accomplish, reach, arrive at, come by, obtain, gain, procure, secure, get, grasp, hook, net, win, earn, acquire, establish, make;
realize, fulfil, succeed in, bring off, bring about, bring to fruition, carry off, carry through, effect
1.1Reach (a specified age, size, or amount): dolphins can attain speeds in water which man cannot yet emulate
More example sentences
- The late Mrs. Boyle had attained the age of one-hundred years, and enjoyed good health up to the end.
- One in ten children die before they attain the age of five years, adds the report.
- The reality sinks in when they attain puberty by which time they are told they have no choice.
Words that rhyme with attainabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, inane, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.