- Telli woke the next morning to the patter of rain on the roof above his attic room.
- They had a small attic room in the roof which was full of old toys.
- Spare bedrooms or large closets make good drying rooms, but hot attics and damp cellars generally do not.
Attic originally referred to an arrangement of small columns at the top of a building. It is from French attique, from Latin Atticus ‘relating to Athens or Attica’, from the type of architecture found there. The phrase attic storey, used from the mid 18th century, described a low space above the main tall façade, which eventually gave attic the sense ‘highest storey of a building’.
Words that rhyme with atticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
- The Persians marched across the Attic peninsula and burned Athens.
- As in the main scene, she wears a high-crested Attic helmet.
- It is written in Attic Greek, with much studiedly antithetical rhetoric and frequent verbal borrowings from the classical authors.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
Definition of attic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.