Definition of attorney general in English:
noun (plural attorneys general)
1The principal legal officer who represents the Crown or a state in legal proceedings and gives legal advice to the government.
- Yesterday, the Government asked the Attorney General for legal advice on the demolition of the flats.
- Yesterday, British politics was gripped by the release of the Attorney General's legal advice.
- With the support of the Attorney General an injunction could be sought in proceedings for public nuisance.
1.1 (Attorney General) The head of the US Department of Justice.
- We need an attorney general in charge of enforcement over in the Justice Department.
- We are joined now in Miami by Janet Reno, the former attorney general of the United States.
- He will be the first Hispanic attorney general of the United States.
Definition of attorney general in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan