Definition of auger in English:
1A tool resembling a large corkscrew, for boring holes in wood.
- This boring article presents a few of the many interesting variants in wood boring augers and twist bits.
- A spoon auger used to bore holes into wood.
- A common method was to bore a hole in the barrel using any of a variety of bung borers, boring taps, augers, tapered reamers, and the like.
1.1A large tool similar to an auger, used for boring holes in the ground.
- We use the auger to drill holes, the sweeper to sweep the parking lot, the hammer to bust concrete.
- I carefully drill 16-inch - to 18-inch-deep holes with a 2-inch diameter soil auger.
- Samples of clay from the auger holes were tested for moisture content but did not indicate any exceptional level of desiccation.
See augur (usage)
Words that rhyme with augeraugur
Definition of auger in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia