- 1Relating to the southern hemisphere: the austral springMore example sentences
- In the Northern Hemisphere the migration occurs in the boreal winter approximately November - March, and in the Southern Hemisphere's austral winter, June-September.
- Polar regions have experienced the most striking decreases in the ozone column; during each austral spring the ozone column over Antarctica is depleted by nearly 50%.
- Our research team in Antarctica includes eight biologists who travel south every austral summer to study Weddell seals as they hunt beneath the sea ice.
- 1.1 (Austral) Of Australia or Australasia.More example sentences
- And the winds of God go lightly by’ Neath the splendid Austral sky.
- The business is also the sole stockist in the Northern Rivers for Austral plywood and there are currently heaps of natural timber slabs on sale that are great for kitchen benches and the like.
- They tell of an innocent Austral lad stumbling into trouble amongst the great and good of Pommyland, months out from an election.
late 15th century: from Latin australis, from Auster 'the south, the south wind'.
More definitions of australDefinition of austral in:
- The US English dictionary