noun (plural autochthons or autochthones /-θəniːz/)
- An original or indigenous inhabitant of a place; an aborigine.More example sentences
- Environmentalists tended to characterise Aboriginal Australians as icons of true belonging, role models, holders of superior spiritual knowledge, the real autochthons.
- By demonstrating their ability to survive and navigate in the Canadian environment, the snowshoers justified their claim to be a new type of autochthon.
- Here then is the European depicted as autochthon, born out of the mud of Patusan.
late 16th century: from Greek, literally 'sprung from the earth', from autos 'self' + khthōn 'earth, soil'.
More definitions of autochthonDefinition of autochthon in:
- The US English dictionary