Definition of autochthonous in English:
1(Of an inhabitant of a place) indigenous rather than descended from migrants or colonists.
- However, on his creative path around the north of the island he discovered several autochthonous beings already in residence.
- For some citizens, deeply embedded assumptions about hierarchies of ‘spiritual belonging’ to land give priority to those individuals who can make the strongest claims to autochthonous status.
- In mythic accounts, the relationship between the autochthonous and the stranger is always a matter of context.
1.1 Geology (Of a deposit or formation) formed in its present position. Often contrasted with allochthonous.
- It is generally agreed that the autochthonous sedimentary sequences were deposited in the northern margin of Gondwana.
- This has led to debate on whether this basement complex is allochthonous or autochthonous.
- In contrast to siliciclastic deposits, they are normally deposited close to their site of formation within the basin of deposition; that is they are autochthonous, and are rarely transported great distances from their site of origin.
Definition of autochthonous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan