1Relating to a ruler who has absolute power: the constitutional reforms threatened his autocratic power
More example sentences
- That's why in dictatorships or autocratic regimes those in power move quickly to suppress a free press.
- It will not be possible for anything like these figures to go through unless the Government takes autocratic powers, and uses them to the full.
- But in other areas there will be total chaos because none of these autocratic rulers have any line of succession.
1.1Taking no account of other people’s wishes or opinions; domineering: a man with a reputation for an autocratic management style
More example sentences
- But her ‘domineering, autocratic style’ and her sometimes volatile temperament are also highlighted.
- Sources tell me that this autocratic style led to managerial paralysis in the party and that the current leadership are doing their best to sort it all out.
- The Ambulance Service has been condemned in an official report for having autocratic management and out of date equipment.
despotic, tyrannical, oppressive, repressive;
dictatorial, totalitarian, autarchic, absolute, all-powerful, arbitrary;
undemocratic, anti-democratic, one-party, monocratic;
illiberal, domineering, doctrinaire, dogmatic, draconian, overweening, overbearing, bossy, high-handed, peremptory, imperious, harsh, strict, severe, rigid, inflexible, unyielding;
- Example sentences
- A party with an overwhelming majority cannot ignore the voices of civil society or political opposition, without risking both the accusation of arrogance and the insidious temptation to act autocratically.
- He reigned autocratically for more than 32 years, but following his downfall his handpicked successor led a transitional government into free elections.
- Faculty members complained that he behaved autocratically in establishing the center without soliciting their advice and consent.
Words that rhyme with autocraticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: auto|crat¦ic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.