Definition of autogamy in English:
Self-fertilization, especially the self pollination of a flower. Compare with allogamy.
- In this study, I use floral manipulations in conjunction with marker gene analysis to estimate the relative contributions of autogamy and geitonogamy to self fertilization.
- Together, the three modes of geitonogamy make a much larger contribution to self-fertilization than autogamy.
- Recipients were cells from young clones only four to six fissions after the last autogamy.
- Example sentences
- Like tomato and pepper, eggplant is an autogamous diploid with 12 chromosomes.
- I estimated the amount of autogamous pollination by comparing the stigmatic pollen loads of intact and emasculated flowers.
- Wild barley is a predominantly autogamous annual grass.
Definition of autogamy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan