Relating to disease caused by antibodies or lymphocytes produced against substances naturally present in the body: the infection triggers an autoimmune response
More example sentences
- It can occur by itself or with other, common autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.
- In autoimmune diseases, antibodies attack the body itself.
- It is associated with autoimmune illnesses, including rheumatoid arthritis.
- More example sentences
- There is no vaccine, and none is likely because the role of autoimmunity in pathogenesis is under dispute.
- There are perhaps up to 100 diseases where autoimmunity is involved in one way or other, including diabetes, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- The importance of innate immune mechanisms in controlling viral infections, cancer and autoimmunity is currently an area of intense research.
Definition of autoimmune in:
- The US English dictionary