Definition of automatic pilot in English:
A device for keeping an aircraft on a set course without the intervention of the pilot.
- Disengage the automatic pilot and contact the control tower for clearance.
- The speed valves control the rate at which the automatic pilot reacts to bring the airplane back on its course.
- After climbing out and disappearing from sight above the clouds, the pilot switched on the automatic pilot and sat back, the story goes.
- on automatic pilot
- Out of routine or habit, without concentration or conscious thought: I leapt out of bed and dressed on automatic pilotMore example sentences
- They often lead their private lives on automatic pilot, but many of them feel seriously deprived, because they don't have real emotional connections.
- It is a sentence written by someone who is writing on automatic pilot, putting down the thoughts pretty much as they popped into her head, and not bothering to arrange them in a sensible order once they were set down on paper.
- Having seen this quartet perform before, I was alarmed at how tired and bored the violinist looked, almost appearing as if he was playing this glorious first violin part on automatic pilot.
Definition of automatic pilot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.