Definition of automatic pilot in English:
A device for keeping an aircraft on a set course without the intervention of the pilot.
- Disengage the automatic pilot and contact the control tower for clearance.
- The speed valves control the rate at which the automatic pilot reacts to bring the airplane back on its course.
- After climbing out and disappearing from sight above the clouds, the pilot switched on the automatic pilot and sat back, the story goes.
on automatic pilot
- Out of routine or habit, without concentration or conscious thought: I leapt out of bed and dressed on automatic pilotMore example sentences
- They often lead their private lives on automatic pilot, but many of them feel seriously deprived, because they don't have real emotional connections.
- It is a sentence written by someone who is writing on automatic pilot, putting down the thoughts pretty much as they popped into her head, and not bothering to arrange them in a sensible order once they were set down on paper.
- Having seen this quartet perform before, I was alarmed at how tired and bored the violinist looked, almost appearing as if he was playing this glorious first violin part on automatic pilot.
Definition of automatic pilot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia