Definition of auxotroph in English:
A mutant organism (especially a bacterium or fungus) that requires a particular additional nutrient which the normal strain does not.
- These mutations result in plants that are stunted, have dark green leaves and show defects in flower development and timing of flowering, but unlike GA auxotrophs these mutants are not rescued by GA application.
- While the purpose of early mutant isolations was mostly focused on the identification of auxotrophs, many of these early strains have been subjected to heavy mutagenesis.
- Both of these mutants seem to be thiamin auxotrophs because they appeared normal when grown on media supplemented with 0.1 mM thiamin.
- auxotrophic adjective
- Example sentences
- Previous work on Drosophila de novo purine synthesis genes showed that 4 mg/ml RNA supplementation can rescue the phenotype of auxotrophic mutants fed a defined medium.
- Linear relationships have been found between increasing levels of the supplied amino acid and the bioluminescence emission of the auxotrophic mutant of E. coli carrying the lux system.
- The data indicate that the mutations complement with respect to the auxotrophic phenotype when grown on Sang's medium.
1950s: from Latin auxilium 'help' + Greek trophos 'feeder'.
Definition of auxotroph in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.