- In the hall Godwin had told Gyric that on the morrow he would pledge to avenge the harm done to his brother.
- Indeed, the Camorra spawned one of Italy's most notorious female criminals, Pupetta Maresca, who became famous in 1955 after she personally avenged the murder of her husband.
- He is a man bound by oath to avenge the wrongs inflicted on his home and, in pursuit of revenge, he will stop at nothing.
- The biblical hero who avenged himself in a suicide mission is the wrong role model for the oppressed.
- He resigned his Treasury post in 1919 to protest the looming catastrophe of the Versailles treaty in which the victors avenged themselves against the defeated Germany with crippling war reparations.
- Samson avenged himself by taking a full house of enemies with him.
- Example sentences
- Unfortunately, the situation is not changing for the better and not even the ‘masked avengers of neo-liberal capitalism’ are going to right the wrongs of the world.
- The violence continued sporadically for months; and months after it had died down, anonymous avengers riposted with a cycle of bomb blasts, a horrific postscript to the slaughter.
- For years I had recurring nightmares of giant, bucktoothed avengers chasing me over endless fields pitted with gopher holes the size of bomb craters.
Late Middle English: from Old French avengier, from a- (from Latin ad 'to') + vengier, from Latin vindicare 'vindicate'.
revenge from Late Middle English:
‘Revenge’, said the 17th-century courtier and scholar Francis Bacon, ‘is a kind of wild justice.’ The idea that wrongs can be most successfully avenged by someone who has taken the time to plan their response is formulated in the proverb first recorded in the late 19th century, revenge is a dish best eaten cold. The word is from Old French revencher, which was from Latin vindicare ‘to claim, avenge’—the root of vindicate (early 17th century) and avenge (Late Middle English).
Words that rhyme with avengehenge, revenge, Stonehenge
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.