1chiefly Medicine The action of pulling or tearing away.
- Other etiologies of groin pain include sports hernia, groin disruption, iliopsoas bursitis, stress fractures, avulsion fractures, nerve compression and snapping hip syndrome.
- The athlete commonly presents to the physician with a chronic untreated profundus avulsion.
- Treatment using nail avulsion in combination with topical therapy has been somewhat more successful, but this approach can be time-consuming, temporarily disabling and painful.
1.1 Law The sudden separation of land from one property and its attachment to another, especially by flooding or a change in the course of a river. Compare with alluvion.
- Abandonment of a former course through avulsion and meander-loop cut-off produces many lakes.
- Avulsion in a coastal area, of course, simply destroys property and moves the boundary, as there is no opposite bank to gain.
- Ohio Revised Code (Law) states that land lost by erosion but regained by avulsion, reverts ownership back to the upland property owner.
- Example sentences
- For this reason, great pains are taken to ensure that the dry creek bed is properly prepared to receive the flow of the tributary now avulsing over the alluvial fan.
- At Westminster, he played rugby, and when a scrum collapsed, he avulsed a spinous process, very painful, but he was able to claim later that he had ‘broken his back.’
- The worst injury he had seen since he started at Heiwa had been a nearly avulsed finger that had been slammed in a closed door by a careless gentleman who had let the good news of his engagement get the better of him.
Early 17th century: from Latin avulsio(n-), from the verb avellere, from ab- 'from' + vallere 'pluck'.
Words that rhyme with avulsioncompulsion, convulsion, emulsion, expulsion, impulsion, propulsion, repulsion, revulsion
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: avul|sion
Definition of avulsion in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.