Definition of axenic in English:
Relating to or denoting a culture that is free from living organisms other than the species required.
- Tips of generative shoots excised from flowering beets were the explants used to initiate axenic shoot cultures.
- Duckweeds also have the advantage that they may be grown in axenic cultures, reproducing vegetatively.
- Experiments that showed a PPFM strain could stimulate growth and development of a leafy liverwort in axenic culture were reported some time ago.
- Example sentences
- Cells were grown axenically in batch culture, in Bold's basal medium as described previously, under a constant light fluence.
- The cells were fed with ciliates Tetrahymena pyriformis, which were axenically cultured in medium containing 1.0% proteose peptone supplemented with 0.1% yeast extract.
- Rice plants were axenically grown in glass test tubes containing a strip of filter paper to support the seeds and filled with 15 ml of Long Ashton nutrient solution.
Definition of axenic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia