Relating to Azerbaijan or its people or their language.
- Yusuf, the son of Azerbaijani parents, grew up Britain and studied classical music at the Royal Academy.
- She also notes that several top officials hold dual U.S.- Azerbaijani citizenship.
- THE Azerbaijani government yesterday announced seven days of mourning to honour former president Geidar Aliev and said he would be buried in a state funeral in the capital Baku tomorrow.
noun (plural Azerbaijanis)
1A native or inhabitant of Azerbaijan, or a person of Azerbaijani descent.
- Under the Russian Empire, Azerbaijanis were known collectively as Tatars and/or Muslims, together with the rest of the Turkic population in that area.
- Western television programs are well liked among the Azerbaijanis, as are Russian and Turkish programs.
- There are at least thirty-five non-Turkish ethnic groups, including other Turkic peoples who speak different Turkic languages, such as the Uygurs, Kirgiz, Kazaks, Uzbeks, Balkar, and Azerbaijanis.
2 [mass noun] The Turkic language spoken by over 14 million people in Azerbaijan and adjacent regions.
- Azeri (also referred to as Azeri Turkish) or Azerbaijani is a Turkic language in the Altaic family; it belongs to the southwestern Oguz group, together with Anatolian Turkish, Turkmen, and Gagauz.
- The accusations from a Turkish-American who speaks Azerbaijani, Farsi, Turkish and English will reignite the controversy over whether the administration ignored warnings.
- She worked as a contract linguist for the F.B.I. for about six months, translating material in Turkish, Persian and Azerbaijani.
Words that rhyme with AzerbaijaniAfghani, ani, Armani, Barney, biriani, blarney, Carney, frangipani, Fulani, Galvani, Giovanni, Hindustani, Killarney, maharani, Mbabane, Modigliani, Omani, Pakistani, Rafsanjani, Rajasthani, rani, sarnie
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Azer|bai|jani
Definition of Azerbaijani in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.