Definition of azoturia in English:
1 Medicine Abnormal excess of nitrogen compounds in the urine.
- She was very fit and on a good nutritional program but shortly after completing cross country, she had a severe episode of azoturia.
- Hence, azoturia (excess of nitrogenous matter in the urine), which is an indicator of a functional breakdown, does not occur until three quarters of the glomeruli have ceased to function.
- Contraindications are: progressive renal dysfunction, including anuria, increasing oliguria and increasing azoturia; pre-existing elevated serum potassium.
1.1 Veterinary Medicine A condition that can affect horses exercised after a period of stabling, causing painful stiffness in the hindquarters and back, and dark urine containing products of muscle cell destruction. Also called tying-up.
- Garza's seen horses with azoturia, aka Monday Morning Sickness or ‘tying up.’
- In horses, the Muscle Tie-Up Syndrome is accompanied by azoturia and much pain.
- As a matter of fact, over-indulgence in grain has been tied to azoturia, yet so have vitamin and mineral deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, and severe dehydration.
Mid 19th century: from obsolete azote 'nitrogen' + -uria.
Definition of azoturia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan