(also pa kua)
Definition of ba gua in English:
1A Chinese religious motif incorporating the eight trigrams of the I Ching, arranged octagonally around a symbol denoting the balance of yin and yang, or around a mirror.
- Though the four-syllable line is common in t'ai chi mnemonics as well, the pattern is not nearly as regular as in the pa kua verses.
- Bagua Zhang derives its name from Ba Gua, the mystical symbol of the eight states of transformation upon which the Chinese book of divination, the I-Ching is based.
- The 8 trigrams are created from the interaction of Yin and Yang, hence the ba gua.
1.1(In feng shui) the ba gua motif regarded as a pattern determining the significance and auspicious qualities of spatial relationships.
- Try looking into Feng Shui for uses of the pa kua (sp).
- The Ba Gua mirror is among the most well-known and commonly used of all the Feng Shui protection spells, remedies, or magical cures for improper placements.
- Come see these beautiful, 3 tiered, water fountain which are shaped after the eight-side mandala known in Feng Shui as the Ba-Gua.
1.2 [mass noun] A Chinese martial art in which movements are focused on a circle and the defence of eight points around it.
- While pa kua focuses on circles, its sister art, hsing yi focuses on lines and linear attacks.
- That article linked to above is about the martial art, ba gua, based on the Eight Changes philosophy.
- Sifu Duncan's account not only contrasts the two styles but notably emphasizes the martial aspects of pa kua, as well as, tellingly, referring to the ‘concealment’ of its fighting applications.
from Chinese bā 'eight' + guà 'divinatory symbols'.
Definition of ba gua in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan