Definition of back seat in English:
A seat at the back of a vehicle.
- Why pay company car tax on a normal estate car if the back seats are folded flat all the time to facilitate load handling?
- Those back seats swivel round too, allowing you to open the boot and create instant, sheltered, picnic seating.
- It would be a versatile vehicle to own especially with the movable back seats.
take a back seat
- Take or be given a less important position or role: in future he would take a back seat in politicsMore example sentences
- Yet the majority of the book emphasizes dinosaur osteology, systematics, and the fossil record; paleobiology takes a back seat to this important foundation.
- But she piled on the pounds after the birth of her son, George, nine months ago and singing took a back seat as her confidence dwindled.
- The role of the citizen is taking a back seat to decisions being made about our communities and the environment.
Definition of back seat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia