- A movement in gymnastics, dance, or yoga in which the body is arched backwards and downwards from an upright position until the hands touch the floor or arched upwards from a supine position, using the hands and feet for support: a lot of girls liked to practise gym skills—handstands, backbends, cartwheels, and so onMore example sentences
- This classic yoga backbend strengthens the muscles that extend along your entire spine and increases spine mobility.
- Avoid all backbends, twists, and inversions.
- The other day I was about three-quarters of the way through my yoga practice when it came to the point in the middle of backbends where you do a handstand and balance by yourself for twelve breaths.
More definitions of backbendDefinition of backbend in:
- The US English dictionary