Definition of backer in English:
1A person, institution, or country that supports someone or something, especially financially: he was the principal backer of the company
More example sentences
- The film-makers are seeking American backers to finance the project.
- Which major backer would financially support a party that had no chance whatsoever of gaining political power?
- Kenneth Lay, Enron's chairman, has acted as George W. Bush's chief financial supporter and key backer since the latter went into politics.
sponsor, investor, subsidizer, underwriter, promoter, financier, patron, benefactor, benefactress, guarantor, supporter, friend
North American booster
1.1A person that bets on a horse.
- In this way, the backer enters into the traditional role of the gambler and the lawyer enters into the traditional role of the bookmaker.
- Ante-post backers with the traditional High Street bookmakers were hit by the withdrawals of several horses with big chances.
- This philosophy has not only made Dunstone popular with punters, it has made his early backers very rich.
Words that rhyme with backeralpaca, attacker, clacker, claqueur, Dhaka, hacker, Hakka, lacquer, maraca, paca, packer, sifaka, slacker, smacker, stacker, tacker, tracker, whacker, yakka
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.