Definition of backwards-compatible in English:
(Of computer hardware or software) able to be used with an older piece of hardware or software without special adaptation or modification.
- The new specification is backward-compatible with FireWire 400, though it will need a special adapter to connect.
- All of the major tape suppliers have committed to standards and backward-compatible roadmaps that will ensure devices and software will be available that can read the tapes that are created today.
- Technically the only thing harder than making a new optical storage device is making it backward-compatible with something else.
backwards compatibility noun
- Example sentences
- The backwards compatibility and mature interoperability make this easy to implement.
- We want to continue to provide one generation of backwards compatibility, but at some point you are going to hit the limit of the technology.
- The backwards compatibility is another winning feature for this machine.
Definition of backwards-compatible in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan