Definition of bacteraemia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
The presence of bacteria in the blood.
- Fever may be a marker of sepsis, localized infection, occult bacteremia, or benign illness.
- Invasive disease includes bacteremia, meningitis and infection in a normally sterile site, excluding the middle ear.
- Although severely malnourished children may not have obvious signs of infection such as fever and tachypnoea, the prevalence of bacteraemia, urinary tract infections, and pneumonia is high.
- Example sentences
- The infection may then rapidly progress to full-blown bacteremic septic shock, accompanied by hypotension, anuria, disseminated intravascular coagulation and hypoglycemia.
- Antibiotic prophylaxis is recommended for bacteremic procedures to prevent brain abscess.
- The direct clinical relevance of such rodent studies may not be immediately apparent, because humans with airway infection rarely become bacteremic or septic when infected with even the wild-type, more virulent organisms.
Definition of bacteraemia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia