Definition of bacteriology in English:
The study of bacteria.
- All sputum samples grew significant numbers of bacteria; quantitative bacteriology revealed an almost 3-fold increase in bacterial count over the period.
- When the bacteriophage was discovered, this was a turning point for bacteriology, but phages long remained the concern of medical bacteriologists.
- He was to investigate the pathology, the pesticide levels in the blubber, try to do bacteriology and virology.
- Example sentences
- In short he is a bacteriologist and microbiologist first who happens to have found his way to a specialism in food contamination.
- By the early twentieth century, colonial authorities had entrenched the regime of immunization proposed by bacteriologists, who stemmed the tide of virulent disease through mandatory inoculations.
- For decades bacteriologists have known that the organism lives in close association with zooplankton, particularly the minute crustaceans known as copepods.
Definition of bacteriology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia