- A virus which parasitizes a bacterium by infecting it and reproducing inside it. Bacteriophages are much used in genetic research.More example sentences
- Suitable vectors are the DNAs of bacterial viruses or bacteriophages which naturally infect bacteria and replicate within them.
- Those viruses, called bacteriophages, specifically infect bacteria, capture some of their genes, and transfer the genes from one microbe to the next.
- For a subset of these viruses, including many tailed bacteriophages and the herpes viruses, the concatemers are cut at specific sites to generate unit-length virion chromosomes.
1920s: from bacterium + Greek phagein 'eat'.
More definitions of bacteriophageDefinition of bacteriophage in:
- The US English dictionary