Definition of ball game in English:
1A game played with a ball.
- According to David Block's new book Baseball Before We Knew It, the game may be traced to a continental ball game called la soule.
- They also have big youth memberships and an estimated 1500 youngsters are now playing the oval ball game in the county.
- This may be the first huge step in rectifying the small ball game in a county where stones at the side of roads are reserved for footballers.
1.1North American A baseball match: I took the afternoon off and went to a ball game
More example sentences
- I had not played in a major league ball game since July 1952.
- Otherwise you can pitch me every day if you feel I can help you win a ball game.
- ‘I entered the ball game late for defense at first base, replacing Nate Colbert in the eighth inning’ Fairly, 65, said.
a different (or whole new) ball game
- informal A situation that is completely different from a previous one: making the film was a whole new ball game for herMore example sentences
- However the young filmmaker's second film ‘Little Terrorist’ was a different ball game altogether.
- Now there is a whole new ball game and it is very tactful stuff.
- I have no children of my own so this is a whole new ball game for me.
Definition of ball game in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan