Definition of ballista in English:
noun (plural ballistae bəˈlɪstiː or ballistas)
1A catapult used in ancient warfare for hurling large stones.
- The two types of siege weapons were catapults and ballistae, with catapults being the predecessor (Iannuzzo).
- The player can use catapults, battering rams, ballistas and ancient ‘elevators’.
- Caesar covered his landing in Britain with catapults and ballistas.
1.1A large crossbow used in ancient warfare for firing a spear.
- Nadia spotted a group of men hauling out a huge ballista, a gigantic crossbow on wheels.
- The ballista was, in essence, a giant crossbow.
- With the ballistae, however, they hoped to launch flaming spears into the sails of their enemy, slowing them down.
Words that rhyme with ballistaassister, bistre (US bister), blister, enlister, glister, lister, mister, resistor, Sandinista, sister, transistor, tryster, twister, vista
Definition of ballista in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.