noun (plural baltis)
(In Pakistani cooking) a spicy dish cooked in a small two-handled pan known as a karahi: [as modifier]: balti restaurants
More example sentences
- It certainly wasn't anything to do with the succulent chicken, the clean-tasting balti sauce or the cooked to perfection tomatoes and peppers.
- Heat a little oil in a wok or balti pan over a high heat.
- Places he's likely to be spotted include various pubs in the Broad Street and Brindley Place area and perhaps later in the evening he may be found eating in a city centre pizza restaurant or balti house.
1980s: of uncertain origin: perhaps from Balti.
Words that rhyme with baltifaulty, salty
1A native or inhabitant of Baltistan.
- The Dard and Baltis inhabit Gurez, Tilel and Draas.
- The Gilgatis and Baltis do not count themselves as Kashmiris, and they will prefer that their area should become a province of Pakistan at the earliest.
- Many Baltis converted to Islam and adopted his school of thought.
2 [mass noun] The Tibetan language of the Baltis, with around 400,000 speakers.
- Nine languages are Dogri, Kashmiri, Ladaakhi, Pothwari, Balti, Gojri, Dardi, Punjabi and Urdu.
- I speak Balti and have gotten to know the Balti women, especially the elders.
- Around a quarter of million people living in these valleys speak Balti, an archaic Tibetan accent.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Baltis or their language.
- His thick Israeli accent sounded loud in the Swiss Cottage air - pungent and appealing and strange, like Balti spices in the Pennines.
- For a month, I had heard nothing but Urdu (the local language), Balti music, and eaten Pakistani food.
- K2's difficulties begin with its remoteness, reflected by the fact that the Balti hill people don't even have a name for the mountain.
The name in Ladakhi dialect.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan