Definition of baneberry in English:
noun (plural baneberries)
1A plant of the buttercup family, which bears fluffy spikes of creamy-white flowers followed by shiny berries, found in north temperate regions.
- Genus Actaea, family Ranunculaceae, especially the common Eurasian A. spicata (also called herb Christopher), with black berries
- Common in the understory are chokecherry, beaked hazelnut, a wild rose, red baneberry, thimbleberry, and bracken.
- In place of Aryan glory I'd grown patches of wiry baneberry thistles interspersed with industrial size brillo bathtub scrubbers.
- Some of the rare plants to benefit from the Project will include limestone fern, baneberry, soloman's seal and rigid buckler fern.
1.1The bitter, often poisonous, berry of the baneberry.
- Mountain ash will hold its berries all winter, but baneberries are falling, drops of lip-red venom in the moss.
- But baneberries have some subtle but noticeable differences from the highbush cranberries.
- Next you will add three baneberries; this is very important because if you don't, you will make the Draught of Unknown Desires, which will be effective for about an hour.
Definition of baneberry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia