Definition of bantam in English:
1A chicken of a small breed, the cock of which is noted for its aggression.
- He's a prize-winning breeder of poultry and waterfowl and started breeding bantams and poultry when he was seven.
- The £7.99 book was inspired by the dozen bantams and sole chicken, Val, that she keeps in the back garden.
- Out back were the Vietnamese pheasants and bantams that Kilroy-Silk breeds.
1.1 [usually as modifier] Canadian A level of amateur sport typically involving children aged between 13 and 15: bantam hockey
More example sentences
- The tournament showcases the top bantam hockey players in the province divided into 12 regional teams.
- I played defense on teams in bantam hockey until three years ago.
- The coach of the Assiniboine West girls bantam team in the Winnipeg Minor Hockey Association is suspended after mooning a referee, while keeping his underwear on.
1.2 short for bantamweight.
- Tiger Flowers was middleweight champion in 1926, Panama Al Brown the bantam in 1929, Kid Chocolate the Jr. lightweight in 1931, and John Henry Lewis light heavyweight belt holder in 1935.
- WBC bantam champion Veeraphol Sahaprom stopped Boy Givara in round seven of a ten-round non-title bout at the Mall Shopping Center Stadium in Bangkok.
- This year, for the first time, we have not had parents coaching our bantam or midget teams.
mid 18th century: apparently named after the province of Bantam in Java, although the fowl is not native there.
Definition of bantam in:
- US English dictionary