Definition of banyan in English:
1 (also banyan tree) An Indian fig tree, the branches of which produce wide-ranging aerial roots which later become accessory trunks.
- Ficus benghalensis, family Moraceae
- The monument is a massive flagpole entwined with the trunk and branches of a symbolic banyan tree forged in steel.
- Then it scampered off up the aerial roots of a nearby banyan tree.
- A porter stops to rest under the shade of a huge banyan tree, its trunk twisting out of the earth and its umbrella-like branches arching over a granite stairway.
2A loose flannel undergarment worn in India.
- In their saris, salwar kameez, kurtas, t-shirts, trousers, lunghis and banians, people from Assam to Kerala, from Gujarat to Jharkhand, were gathering in Mumbai for the World Social Forum.
- In contrast to more reserved garments like the banyan, the kilt became a symbol of a rough-hewn paradise.
- Also of interest is a rare crimson damask banyan - an early precursor of the dressing gown - of early 18 th-century silk, worn by Thomas Severne, Gentleman of the Bed Chamber to King William III.
Definition of banyan in:
- US English dictionary