1A fleshy filament growing from the mouth or snout of a fish.
- Sturgeon species are noted by a spindle-shaped body with five rows of bony scutes and a long snout with sensory barbels.
- White Sturgeon have been described as opportunistic feeders, feeding on the bottom with their long snouts and using their barbels to detect food.
- The epaulette shark's slender body is slightly flattened with a rounded snout, two short nasal barbels, and large spiracles.
2A large European freshwater fish of the carp family, which has barbels hanging from the mouth.
- Barbus barbus, family Cyprinidae.
- He pole-fished pellet to the trees for a mixed bag of carp, ide, barbel and chub.
- In winter it was fantastic fishing roach, chub, silver bream and slabs with the odd barbel and carp.
- The survey teams have been collecting data on the numbers of grayling, dace, barbel, chub, roach and pike in North Yorkshire.
3 [with modifier] An African marine or freshwater fish with barbels round the mouth.
- Species in several families, including Tachysurus feliceps (family Aniidae), of southern African coasts and estuaries.
- I have also witnessed an angler with a double figure barbel in his keepnet which was being transported along the bank so his son could take a picture.
- An early season barbel could well be on the menu if the colour that is present lingers for another day.
- And John Burrett's catch of big chub with three fish for over fifteen pounds: he also caught barbel recording seventy six in just one week.
Words that rhyme with barbelgarble, marble
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bar¦bel
Definition of barbel in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.