noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A synthetic organic acid from which the barbiturates are derived.
- A cyclic derivative of urea and malonic acid; chemical formula: C4H4O3N2
More example sentences
- Barbiturates are derived from barbituric acid, an alkaloid with nitrogen-containing rings.
- Galvan and Pitones used barbituric acid to cover up the smell of the drugs, a procedure that does not work, Piazza said.
- Any other salts or derivatives of barbituric acid or compounds, preparations or mixtures thereof will be considered to be a put of this list.
mid 19th century: from French barbiturique, from German Barbitursäure, from the given name Barbara + Säure 'acid'.
Definition of barbituric acid in:
- The US English dictionary