noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Injury caused by a change in air pressure, affecting typically the ear or the lung.More example sentences
- The most dangerous medical problems are barotrauma to the lungs and decompression sickness, also called ‘the bends.’
- Traumatic perforations of the tympanic membrane can occur because of water accidents, barotrauma, explosions, penetrating injury, or temporal bone fractures.
- Inflation pressures for adults in excess of this are rarely beneficial, and the risk of barotrauma and gastric inflation are similar in adults and children.
More definitions of barotraumaDefinition of barotrauma in:
- The US English dictionary