1A two-wheeled handcart used especially by street vendors: they sell fruit from market barrows
More example sentences
- These were all purchased from street barrows when second-hand books were sold at a cost of about sixpence each.
- Sold from just about every avenue one could imagine (from shops to basements to barrows in the street), the drink played into the prevalent violence and insecurity in a dramatic and disastrous way.
- He came to a corner, but she was lost in the crowd around a line of street barrows selling clothing and a little food.
- She gathered two stacks of hay into a wheelbarrow and pushed the barrow to the stall that was vacant.
- Hundreds of navigators, ‘navvies,’ were employed to dig the canals with only spades, picks, barrows and horse and cart.
- Ireland's popular gardener Gerry Daly dispensed barrows and pots full of helpful information for all types of gardens in a varied and interesting talk in Abbeyleix, Manor Hotel on Thursday last March 23.
Words that rhyme with barrowarrow, farrow, harrow, Jarrow, marrow, narrow, sparrow, taro, tarot, Varro, yarrow
An ancient burial mound.
- Across Britain and Ireland there are thousands of Iron Age barrows and burial mounds, and hundreds of Iron Age hill forts.
- In prehistoric Britain early agricultural communities deposited their dead in communal, highly visible locations such as chambered tombs, barrows and burial cairns.
- With its prehistoric burial mounds, barrows and encampments, its feudal laws and time-trapped settlements, the New Forest is anything but.
Entry from US English dictionary
A male pig castrated before maturity.
- Mackenzie Langemeier won the honor of grand champion Duroc barrow with her 259-pound pig named Rocky. The barrow was purchased from Kent Brattain.
- Members who weigh and tag their pigs from March 31 - April 7 may show one derby pen of three, one derby gilt and one derby barrow.
- Many people recommend a spayed sow for the poor, but I always recommend a barrow pig.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.