- The rate at which the body uses energy while at rest to maintain vital functions such as breathing and keeping warm.More example sentences
- If rapid growth rates reflect the basal metabolic rates of sauropods, then these giant dinosaurs can no longer be regarded as ‘good reptiles.’
- The forager expends 1 unit of energy per time period as a basal metabolic rate, independent of what it is doing.
- For every 0.6 [degrees] C increase in core temperature, there is a 10 percent elevation in the basal metabolic rate.
- More example sentences
- In rodents, sympathetic activation of brown fat appears to play an important role in increasing thermogenesis and basal metabolism via activation of uncoupling proteins.
- Some sources use the terms resting metabolic rate or resting energy expenditure to describe basal metabolism.
- This involuntary activity is known as basal metabolism and represents about 60 percent of your body's energy need.
More definitions of basal metabolic rateDefinition of basal metabolic rate in:
- The US English dictionary