Definition of basic wage in English:
1The amount a person earns before additional payments such as overtime.
- The unidentified officer's huge overtime bonus was on top of his basic wage of €35,000, plus allowances.
- In addition to basic wages, workers can receive allowances for hazardous work, accommodation, and various other aspects of the job.
- In January, basic wage income grew 5.8% from the previous year, the largest yearly gain in four years and twice the rate of inflation.
1.1Australian /NZ another term for minimum wage.
- As you know, the case established the basic wage, defined as a wage sufficient to support a working man, his dependent wife and three children ‘in frugal comfort’.
- He believed in a free press, the right of workers to form associations or unions and he believed in fixed wages for regulated working hours - a basic wage in other words.
- Along the way its achievements have been significant: a 40-hour week, basic wages, leave entitlements, equal pay, superannuation, redundancy rights and the recognition of indigenous Australians.