Definition of basic wage in English:
1The amount a person earns before additional payments such as overtime.
- The unidentified officer's huge overtime bonus was on top of his basic wage of €35,000, plus allowances.
- In addition to basic wages, workers can receive allowances for hazardous work, accommodation, and various other aspects of the job.
- In January, basic wage income grew 5.8% from the previous year, the largest yearly gain in four years and twice the rate of inflation.
1.1Australian /NZ another term for minimum wage.
- As you know, the case established the basic wage, defined as a wage sufficient to support a working man, his dependent wife and three children ‘in frugal comfort’.
- He believed in a free press, the right of workers to form associations or unions and he believed in fixed wages for regulated working hours - a basic wage in other words.
- Along the way its achievements have been significant: a 40-hour week, basic wages, leave entitlements, equal pay, superannuation, redundancy rights and the recognition of indigenous Australians.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.