Definition of basilect in English:
A less prestigious dialect or variety of a particular language. Often contrasted with acrolect.
- At this time the great majority of people in the community were speakers primarily of this basilect.
- Some like the basilect and some like the acrolect.
- English would be the acrolect while Jamaican would be the basilect.
- Example sentences
- They are arranged along a post-Creole continuum which has acrolectal (those varieties closest to the superstrate) at one end and basilectal (those varieties furthest from it) at the other.
- Furthermore, labels such as rare, historical, rural and basilectal help to categorize the items.
- The article focuses on the basilectal features of the oldest speaker and considers how such features became stigmatized.
Definition of basilect in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan