Definition of basketball in English:
1A game played between two teams of five players in which goals are scored by throwing a ball through a netted hoop fixed at each end of the court.
- You'll be able to watch live premiership games, basketball, golf, cricket, and all sorts.
- This is why, perhaps, football and basketball are the team sports with the widest global appeal.
- I get fed up with the number of points they score in basketball but I quite like a few goals in football.
1.1 [count noun] The inflated ball used in basketball.
- I can see what they are saying about some of the balls, as the kids bring in rugby balls and basketballs and it can possibly get a bit out of hand.
- There were basketballs, soccer balls, volleyballs, etc.
- The yard is littered with basketballs, soccer balls, bikes, and, for trips on the nearby river, canoes.
Words that rhyme with basketballracquetball • volleyball
Definition of basketball in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan