- 1A bass instrument of the viol family; a viola da gamba.More example sentences
- One of the commonest consorts in the Elizabethan period was the combination of treble viol or violin, flute or recorder, bass viol, lute, cittern, and bandora.
- Most of the score is lame, but the musical theme - arranged for violin, viola, and bass viol - is suitably stark and creepy.
- He is a Finn, and he plays the bass viol.
- 1.1North American A double bass.More example sentences
- Up to a dozen of these particular clamps would be used when gluing up the body of a cello or a bass viol.
- The bass viol, in particular, is more than just a matter of the fingers, but rather of cradling the instrument with the whole body.
- Did this aspect of the literature shape your thinking at all when writing a concerto for the bass viol?
More definitions of bass violDefinition of bass viol in:
- The US English dictionary