noun (plural bassos profundos or bassi profundi /-di/)
- A bass singer with an exceptionally low range.More example sentences
- The towering basso profundo brought a magical tenderness to his opening aria, with cleverly timed political quips and his deep bass lent warmth to the lyrical a capella friendship quartet.
- I was a trumpet in Army, and the basso profundo in the other two.
- That turned the tenor of the day into a somewhat confused basso profundo, capable of little more than a hesitant adagio molto.
mid 19th century: Italian, from basso 'low' + profondo 'deep'.
More definitions of basso profundoDefinition of basso profundo in:
- The US English dictionary