A medium-sized whale with elongated jaws that form a beak, typically showing marked differences in size and body form between the sexes.
- Family Ziphiidae: four genera and several species, including the bottlenose whales
More example sentences
- Although he and his colleagues named a new beaked whale only last year, Mead says that scientists generally describe a whale species perhaps once a decade.
- Dolphins and porpoises are examples of odontocetes, as are belugas, narwhals, killer whales, sperm whales, and beaked whales.
- There are dolphins, both bottlenose and common, pilot whales, Cuvier's beaked whales and some more cetaceans yet, seen far away, their watery blows arcing into the sky against a cold and arid landscape.
Definition of beaked whale in:
- The US English dictionary