1Feeling or expressing blissful happiness: a beatific smile
More example sentences
- The smile that spread across Nicholas' face was beatific, full of happiness and relief.
- I smile one of my beatific smiles throughout, and leave happy.
- And she looked at me with kind of beatific smile and said, ‘Yes, it's his sense of noblesse oblige.’
2 Christian Theology Imparting holy bliss.
- All Christians of all times have asked how God prepares believers for the beatific vision of the fullness of His glory.
- Initially serving as either hubris or hyperbole, this trope likens the lover's earthly vision of the beloved to the angels' beatific, heavenly vision of God and the divine joy produced by that mysterious vision.
- Knowledge is preeminent also in the final bliss of the elect; the essence of salvation is the beatific vision.
- Example sentences
- Bernal was terrific in Amores Perros and Y Tu Mamá También, but those were roles that required real acting, not just beatifically grinning like an idiot the entire time he was on-screen.
- Every so often he would lapse into a strange ‘wannabe priest mode’, where he would raise his hand while nodding and smiling beatifically - as if offering us benediction.
- Head tilted, she gazes down where the faithful used to kneel - the faithful whose last prayers she failed to answer - her hands clasped in prayer, her face beatifically self-absorbed.
Mid 17th century: from French béatifique or Latin beatificus, from beatus 'blessed'.
Words that rhyme with beatificanaglyphic, calorific, colorific, hieroglyphic, honorific, horrific, Indo-Pacific, pacific, prolific, scientific, soporific, specific, terrific, transpacific, triglyphic
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bea|tif¦ic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.