Definition of beauty contest in English:
1A contest in which the winner is the woman judged the most beautiful.
- The war began after the Trojan prince Paris was promised that he would marry the prettiest woman in the world after he judged Aphrodite to be the winner in a divine beauty contest.
- Some years ago the Black Expo invited Heavyweight Champion Mike Tyson to judge their beauty contest.
- At Zeus' command Paris had been the judge at a beauty contest and had to choose which of the goddesses Hera, Athene, or Aphrodite was the fairest.
1.1 informal A contest between rival institutions which depends heavily on presentation.
- Why is the beauty contest critical if it's a winner take all as far as Republican voters are concerned?
- Nor are they a beauty contest between the three options with the winner being the council's adopted plan.
- Because it does not weigh all the inputs included in a DCF model, ratio-based valuation acts more like a beauty contest: stocks are compared to each other rather than judged on intrinsic value.
Definition of beauty contest in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia