Definition of because in English:
- The reason for this is because they had been trying for a baby for the last few years.
- The reason the party is in this mess is because it has not been honest with the voters.
- So far the council has sold us down the river each time because it is strapped for cash.
- Mom is actually about to get a new job and a lot more money, and I am excited because shopping trips!
- Had to leave the office because laughing too loudly.
- I basically have to get a new computer now because aarrgh.
1 When because follows a negative construction the meaning can be ambiguous. In the sentence he did not go because he was ill, for example, it is not clear whether it means either ‘the reason he did not go was that he was ill’ or ‘being ill wasn’t the reason for him going; there was another reason’. Some usage guides recommend using a comma when the first interpretation is intended ( he did not go, because he was ill) and no comma where the second interpretation is intended, but it is probably wiser to avoid using because after a negative altogether.2 As with other conjunctions such as but and and, it is still widely held that it is incorrect to begin a sentence with because. It has, however, long been used in this way in both written and spoken English (typically for rhetorical effect), and is quite acceptable. 3 On the construction the reason ... is because, see reason (usage).
- because of
- On account of; by reason of: they moved here because of the babyMore example sentences
- Some would even say the only reason they go to watch Tranmere is because of Iain alone.
- We hate to think that the reason we are the way we are is because of our genes, for example.
- You have mentioned it a number of times that the reason the load is low is because of the cap.
Middle English: from the phrase by cause, influenced by Old French par cause de 'by reason of'.
Words that rhyme with becauseBoz, cos, Oz, Ros, Roz, schnozz, was
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.