1A plant suitable for use as a bedding plant.
- Excellent summer bedder, pot plant or standard.
- To manage them as bedders they must be multiplied by cuttings in the usual way of "soft-wooded" plants, and be put out late in May.
- Hardy plants, including alpines, need as much attention in their way as the old-fashioned tender bedders.
2British informal A servant employed to clean rooms in Cambridge colleges.
- Cambridge had its ‘bedders‘, Oxford has its ‘scouts‘.
- We also have, most useful of things, a kitchen cleanliness freak and of course, five visits a week from a bedder, dubbed by my Greek and Italian flatmates ‘Santa Martha’.
- This includes emptying work surfaces, cleaning the sink and cooker and wiping paintwork - though the bedders are not expected to fight through piles of washing-up.
Words that rhyme with beddercheddar, Edda, Enzedder, header, Kedah, shedder, shredder, spreader, tedder, threader, treader, Vedda
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bed¦der
Definition of bedder in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.