Definition of bedder in English:
1A plant suitable for use as a bedding plant.
- Excellent summer bedder, pot plant or standard.
- To manage them as bedders they must be multiplied by cuttings in the usual way of "soft-wooded" plants, and be put out late in May.
- Hardy plants, including alpines, need as much attention in their way as the old-fashioned tender bedders.
2British informal A servant employed to clean rooms in Cambridge colleges.
- Cambridge had its ‘bedders‘, Oxford has its ‘scouts‘.
- We also have, most useful of things, a kitchen cleanliness freak and of course, five visits a week from a bedder, dubbed by my Greek and Italian flatmates ‘Santa Martha’.
- This includes emptying work surfaces, cleaning the sink and cooker and wiping paintwork - though the bedders are not expected to fight through piles of washing-up.
Words that rhyme with beddercheddar, Edda, Enzedder, header, Kedah, shedder, shredder, spreader, tedder, threader, treader, Vedda
Definition of bedder in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan