1A herbaceous plant widely cultivated as a source of food for humans and livestock, and for processing into sugar. Some varieties are grown for their leaves and some for their swollen nutritious root.
- Beta vulgaris, family Chenopodiaceae: several subspecies
More example sentences
- In agriculture the main products are meat and dairy, potatoes, sugar beets, barley, wheat, and turnips.
- It also contained two to three times the sugar content of sugar cane or sugar beets - think sugared cereal for cows.
- The main crops are wheat, corn, sugar beets, sunflower seeds, and wine grapes.
1.1 North American term for beetroot.
Old English bēte, of West Germanic origin, from Latin beta, perhaps of Celtic origin; related to Dutch beet and German Bete.
Definition of beet in:
- The US English dictionary