Definition of befitting in English:
Appropriate to the occasion: a country which can run the prestigious tournament in a befitting manner
More example sentences
- In the wake of any aggression, we are capable of giving a befitting reply.
- The government has also arranged programmes to observe the day in a befitting manner.
- I personally appeal for the exhibition of honesty by our kingmakers in the selection of a befitting personality for the kingly crown.
- Example sentences
- The majority of the audience was represented by parents of children who are currently in grades 11 or 12, and who will be the guinea pigs, as one mother befittingly put it, for the new admissions systems.
- The day was the climax of elaborate festivities to commemorate, and befittingly so, Zambia's peaceful journey of 40 years.
- The doors, befittingly, were huge, wooden monstrosities that creaked and led into a small atrium, with two more doors at the other end.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan